Saturday, February 15, 2014

Thanks for all the letters and packages! I love the ties and thanks for sending me those cinnamon rolls too! They were good but Dad's are still better. Thanks for the valentine package as well and thanks for writing some notes to Elder Penaia too! He hasn't received any mail this whole time in the MTC so that's awesome that you wrote him notes, he really appreciates it (he has been getting emails though). Can you also thank Sisters Alisa and Corrine Barlow for me? If you didn't know, they sent me a package with some lifesavers and one of those nice wooden "Plan of Salvation" visuals in Spanish. I really appreciate it and I can't wait to use it on my mission! Thanks for everything!

My Birthday was pretty cool on Tuesday. My District sang happy birthday to me in the morning before class and at lunch our main teacher came to the cafeteria and gave me a German Chocolate Cake ( my district had told him about my birthday the day before)! Then we went to the usual Tuesday evening devotional and listened to Elder Zwick talk to us about Hastening the Work. One cool thing he did was he walked through the crowd and asked a few missionaries what their thoughts were on hastening the work. Then that night our District had a little "party" in which we ate some of the cake, and they gave me a birthday card that they all signed and a tie. All in all my birthday was probably the best you could have in the the MTC and I am very grateful for my District.

The weird thing about being here at the MTC is that now my favorite thing to do here is teach. I did not like teaching lessons or anything before coming to the MTC and I never did a very good job with it. But now all I want to do is teach people because that is the reason we learn Spanish so fast and because each lesson we feel the Spirit and the love from Heavenly Father. One of Elder Penaia's and my investigators this week in TRC (Teaching Resource Center) was Jorge. I'm pretty sure he is a non- member and he was one of the best investigators to teach. He had many questions for us as missionaries and the main thing that was hard for him to understand was how we could believe in what we believe such as: el Libro do Mormón, Joseph Smith, and the Godhead. It was a really cool experience teaching him because we got to bear our testimonies a lot, which invited the Spirit, and even though we really didn't teach a full lesson, we both felt like we increased his faith and brought him closer to Christ.

So I got my travel plans yesterday. I fly out of Salt Lake City to Atlanta, Georgia and then straight to Buenos Aires. Not too bad, I would say, but it will be a long 2 days because I get to Argentina in the morning around 8 so I will probably be put straight to work. Yea!
Some other news: Elder Penaia is getting a temporary reassignment because his visa is not ready for Argentina. Elder Anderson is getting permanently reassigned to a different mission because Argentina won't accept his visa. :( But he does have the comfort of knowing that he will be assigned to somewhere in South America

This Sunday's devotional is going to awesome! Elder Holland's son is coming to speak to us about Joseph Smith and share some cool stories about him. There is also going to be a professional choir there that will sing songs intermittently throughout the talk and then at the end ( I think), the MTC choir and the other choir will sing "Praise to the Man." It will be awesome to listen to the talk and sing in the choir!

I love you all and thanks again for the letters and packages!

Love,
Elder Giles

                                                        Elder Giles and his District!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Heather for the updates! So fun to hear about the MTC, hope his travel goes well to Argentina. I celebrated my birthday in the MTC as well, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete